If you have a growing family and feel like you need more space, you’re not alone! That’s pretty common for large families. Luckily, you have plenty of options when it’s time to build your modular home. For instance, a basement would be the perfect addition to your family home.
Yes, you read that right. For those of you who’ve been wondering if it’s possible to construct a modular home with a basement, the short answer is yes! All homes require a structural foundation, so your modular home builders can create a basement if that’s something you’re interested in.
Curious to learn more about modular home basements? If so, we have all the answers you’ve been waiting for down below.
Modular Home Basements Start with Foundation
When it comes to designing your modular home, there are plenty of design elements you’ll have to consider. An import design decision is picking what type of foundation you want beneath your home.
If you’re unfamiliar, the foundation of a home is the structural floor that supports the rest of your house. It is, quite literally, the foundation for the rest of your home. Depending on where you buy land, your modular home builder will advise you where the foundation of your home should go.
Homeowners can choose between two types of foundations - a crawl space, or a basement. A crawl space is a smaller area beneath the home that holds a variety of wires and piping. More homeowners opt for a full basement because it provides additional living space, but still has all the important wiring, electrical, and plumbing that you need.
Modular Home Basements from Carolina Custom Homes
At Carolina Custom Homes, to guarantee the durability and security of your home, we always use Superior Walls as your home foundation. This affordable foundation is ideal for your budget, but still provides the perfect amount of protection for your home.
Superior Walls offers exciting benefits such as:
- • Lower energy costs
- • Higher home value
- • Durability and strength
- • Faster construction
- • Custom design flexibility
- • Holes for wiring and plumbing
- • Pre-studded walls
It’s easier than ever to have a home that is built to last, with Superior Walls as your foundation. Plus, Superior Walls provides more design elements that ensure your basement, like your ground floor, is custom-fitted to your needs.
If you want a finished basement in your modular home, there are a few things that are determined before construction:
- • Home Building Codes are Being Followed
- • Like all construction projects, it’s important to make sure that building codes are being properly followed. Your plan must be approved before the foundation can be poured.
- • The Purpose of the Space
- When meeting with your home designer, talk about the purpose of the space. Do you have design ideas for your basement? If so, you can discuss what can be included during modular construction.
- • The Basement Structure
- Modular home buying comes with plenty of customization opportunities that will let you complete your basement exactly how you want it. While this does mean your base price will increase, you’ll be able to have all the additional features and space you’ve always wanted in your home.
At Carolina Custom Homes, our designers and general contractors take our home designs seriously. Just like a site-built home, our modular homes offer all the additional features, space, and customizations you need to fit your family. The toughest decision you’ll have to make is finding a floor plan that fits your family.
Ready to learn more about other home customizations you didn't know were possible? At Carolina Custom Homes, the sky's the limit for our homeowners. Check out our home customization options in our webinar, Modulars 101: Your Guide to Customization!